- At least 5, and perhaps as many as 20 children have suffered weakness or paralysis in one or more limbs. The median age of the patients is 12 years and the cases have been reported since 2012.
- One group of 5 patients recently presented at the American Academy
of Neurology Annual meeting developed full paralysis within 2 days, and
have not recovered limb function in 6 months.
- The cases are all located within a 100-mile radius.
- A mild respiratory illness preceded paralysis in some of the children.
- Enterovirus type 68 has been recovered from the stool of some of the patients.
Polio-like paralysis in California
Source: Virology Blog